Thursday, January 10, 2008

In a pickle.


My formerly 18 pound cat Simon, who I can count on to be swirling around my legs when I'm in the middle of anything requiring speed and efficiency in the kitchen and most definitely NOT benefited by a cat who happens to QUACK when stepped on, has dropped to a scrawny 13 pounds. The veterinarian has proposed that I bring in a urine sample. YES - a URINE sample. From a cat. Now, aside from the fact that I am worried about what has gone wrong with his health and I realize it's probably uncouth to casually blog about something as disgusting as cat pee, I'm simultaneously grossed out and amused that I find myself needing to collect a pee sample. The vet suggests replacing the litter in his box with bits of shredded newspaper and then hope for an unabsorbed trickle somewhere in the mess. And what, I wonder, would be an appropriate receptacle for said sample? Ick, ick. But kind of funny, no?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That picture makes Simon look fat.

Can you make him drink alot of water and then just stay on top of a vessel of some kind (an empty litter box?), until he urinates?

He does not at all look scrawny.

Scullerina said...

Best of luck collecting the urine sample.....I can't even conceive of a way to retrieve the sample. poor kitty.

Andy said...

I know! Strap on one of the Pampers, and ring the thing out. Tee hee hee.

ticktock said...

Can they not retrieve their own urine sample when you take him into the vet???

Any luck with the retrieval yet?