Sunday, January 20, 2008

Masterpiece Theater, How I Love Thee


I've mentioned E's penchant for Miss Marple and other scrappy old ladies who solve mysteries on PBS, but I do not share this affection. I am most decidedly not interested in any PBS production that involves the investigation of a grizzly crime. What I do love, adore, more than anything are the lovely, LOVELY, productions of classic novels on Masterpiece Theater. The recent Jane Eyre was gorgeous. I've watched this over, and over, and OVER. I should just buy the DVD. I'm wearing out the DVR.


Anyway, leave it to Masterpiece Theater to blow me away again, first with Persuasion last Sunday (Anne Elliot's regret and old maid plight is perfect torture), and then with Northanger Abbey tonight (Catherine is adorably fanciful, you can't help but warm to her). Next week, Mansfield Park. I can't wait. Jane Austen was a genious. GENIOUS. I love these old novels, and PBS does right by them.
To his credit, E watches right with me. And doesn't mention Miss Marple even once.

2 comments:

Andy said...

I TOTALLY understand! Thanks to Masterpiece Theater this month, I have felt like I have been able to even up the score on "The Military Channel" monopolization.

Scullerina said...

I've missed out on the Masterpiece Theater producuctions. Thanks to your post I cna catch the remaining items. Love it.