Thursday, September 27, 2007

I have hangups and My son is...imaginitive

A two-part entry.

First, a brief blurb on hangups and neuroses in general. I realize (or hope) everyone has at least one or two -- that I'm not alone in borderline craziness. So here are a few of mine in no particular order:

~ The word "panties". Pan-teez. Ick. I have nothing against underwear in general, or this piece of underclothing in particular, but the actual phonetics of PANTIES give me the heebie-geebies. Ick. Ick. Ick.

~ I am a food segregationist. There. I've said it. I'm disturbed when my peas and mashed potatoes intermingle. Peas should stick with peas and potatoes with potatoes. I secretly long to replace all the plates in my kitchen with grade school, cafeteria-style divided trays where everything has its place and nothing touches any other thing not of its own kind. And, yes, some food is inherently superior to other food.
~ I'm phone-phobic. I don't like making or receiving phone calls. I really, REALLY don't like the phone. So the advent of email was perhaps a very bad thing for me as it provided me with a means to communicate with people in my life other than the phone. And I fully realize that a phone call now and then would surely be better than an email hurriedly shot off. I don't know why I have this problem. Oh wait! Yes, I do. I come by it genetically. My parents haven't answered their home phone in, oh, about 13 years. Note to anyone who might call me: Please don't be put off by my confession of phone-phobia. It's probably good for me to be challenged occasionally. However, do not call me tonight between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. eastern. I won't answer.


Ok, enough of that. I sound certifiable. Now on to an unrelated (or is it?) story demonstrating my son's unique imaginative skills. Yesterday he brought a ziplock lunch bag into the bathroom and filled it with water. The bag of water houses his new pet. A speck of dirt to me, a treasured plankton pet to him. A zooplankton to be exact. He is concerned about the well being of the plankton seeing as there is no nearby ocean current for it to inhabit. For now a little tap water and a baggie are its home. He has checked on it several times in the last 36 hours. It's still there, a speck in a bag of water. He wanted to take it with him down to breakfast and later have it walk to school with him. I convinced him that zooplankton are prone to motion sickness. Also, lunch bags can and do leak. That would be catastrophic for the little zooplankton.

1 comment:

Scullerina said...

Today's post is the best. I also detest the word "panties" and I would add the word "MOIST" to the list. Both words just sound ugly to me and make me cringe.

The comment that zooplankton are prone to motion sickness totally cracked me up.

I can not wait for THE OFFICE tonight. WE will have to discuss.