Monday, October 15, 2007

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may


I am not a green-thumb. By no stretch of the imagination am I a green-thumb. This fact alone drives my mother quite batty since she is an avid and dedicated gardener. Our scruffy yard and generally passe attitude about it throws her in to the depths of despair and disbelief. She simply cannot understand how her own offspring could be so terribly lacking in horticultural talent AND have had the misfortune to marry someone equally lacking (sorry E!).


So it is with dismay that E and I have watched one particular English rosebush in our backyard produce the most lovely peachy roses in abundance every year since we planted it four years ago. No degree of neglect or abuse that we have unwittingly dished out has thwarted this remarkable bush. In fact, it seems the less we do for it, the more it thrives (this does not hold true for any other living thing in our yard except the weeds). So it is for this reason that I must dedicate a post solely to our persevering rosebush and it's lovely, lovely buds which can be found in my kitchen from May through November...
-~-~-~-
The world is a rose, smell it and pass it to your friends. ~Persian Proverb

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice photo of the cabbage rose.

What about photos of the weeds?

You are in a part of the country with tumble weeds, tumbling along?

What about a photo of the manin garden plants, the apparently unloved but quite hardy weeds?

Anonymous said...

And only your mother knows the envy that exists each time the rosebush is observed, the persistent perusal around the sturdy ample trunk for the official name or even a clue to such-but then a rose by any other name would smell as sweetly-but it is that one particular rose I envy. You might know that after much searching, one was found, my namesake in fact- the Pat Austin rose. proven to be of similar color but lacking is substantiallly, always dropping a loosing petals-such as I. So be it. Now you know why I lurk beyond the corner of the abode-forever in search of the ONE.

Scullerina said...

Even I feel guilty every time I drive by your parent's amazingly gorgeous and ever blooming yard. I'm lucky (and usually proud) if I manage to get the lawn mowed. If anything sprouts or blooms it is a weed or a very happy surprise and a freak of nature due to serious yard neglect.

Janna said...

Chuck,

I prefer to focus on the positive, you know, glass-half-full kinds of things. The weeds in my yard are not deserving of my attention, which is probably why they thrive. As for tumbleweeds...haven't ever seen one 'round these here parts. Lots of corn, wheat, soybean and tornadoes. No tumbleweeds.