Sunday, November 9, 2008

We'll miss him




Allow me to be sappy and indulgent. Yesterday was Simon's last with us. We've seen him slowly diminish this past year without adequate explanation. It has been unexpectedly difficult to watch.
I'll choose to remember him at 20+ pounds with a belly waddle that threatened to take out innocent bystanders. I'll remember that he quacked instead of meowed. I'll remember that he often slept curled around the feet of my children when they were tiny babies. That he loved Fancy Feast. That he loved a vigorous brushing. That he slobbered when he purred too much. That his tail had a strange, crooked tip. And that we had to shut him up downstairs at night because otherwise he would bite my hair to wake me in the early morning hours.
Bubs is oblivious. Fia wonders when he'll be back. Tomorrow? Next week? Next year? And Wonderboy comprehends all too clearly that he won't be back. And you don't know pain until you watch your six-year-old break down in wracking sobs.
And so, although he was just a cat, there have been many tears shed today by all of us because he was part of our family. And he will be sorely missed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need a moment of silence. . .

or two. . .

It's been so long since I've seen him, yet I still miss him as much as he were my own. He was my little buddy at the office (remember when he was little?)

*sigh*

How is Benny taking it?

ticktock said...

I've never seen a cat as big as those two. It's sad to see him go.

That being said, would it be inappropriate if I offered you any of my cats? preferably all of them? (As andrea hits me over the back of the head for even mentioning it)

Michelle said...

I remember cat sitting Simon and Benji all those years ago in Philly. Such a sweet kitty, I am sorry for your loss.

Julie said...

You have my condolences. I've never understood the relationship of pet owners and their pets until I myself became one (an owner that is). Just the thought of Sydney and Dixie growing old makes me teary eyed. So I wish you happy memories!

Nielsen Family said...

We are so sorry for your loss we had to put down our boxer a couple of years ago me and the kids had a really hard time I don't think it bug Kip as bad but I know how sad it makes it when you little 5-6 year old who understand what really is happening. Sorry!!! One of the hardest moments I think of parenthood and childhood.

Aubrey said...

I'm glad we haven't faced this yet, although Cole caused the demise of three poor goldfish he thought would like to see the yard. Since he kept dropping them in the undergrowth we were only able to find two. We held a lovely graveside service while Cole wept buckets.....

Well, Simon was loved by all. Tell Kia he'll need to give double love to Benny now.

Scullerina said...

This post made me tear up. I am so sorry. Thanks to you I got my first kitten in 3rd grade after begging for one for years and years. I'll never forget the day I had to let her go. Ripped my heart out and just remembering it makes my cry.
So sorry for your loss.