Friday, July 4, 2008

Farewell Colorado. Hello Internet.

For the first time in three years of vacationing as a family in Estes Park, Co, I was unable to get my *&^% computer to work on the lodge's wireless. The first day I just had a withdrawal headache. But the next day it was much more serious, with convulsions and mood swings. It may have been for the best, because being tapped in gets a little overwhelming in more than one way. But how I have missed Thee, fair Internet. And how I've missed spewing my babbling nonsense drivel. So brace yourselves. Babbling nonsense drivel ahead. And boring vacation recaps as well. A double-whammy.

Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park is our family's little paradise. That's because we haven't taken the rugrats to Disney yet. I'm sure when we do, the mountains will be their new drudgery. But for now, it's the highlight of the year, ranking right up there with Christmas. Christmas IN Colorado! Now that would be something. Although the excitement would probably make their little heads burst, so perhaps it's best we not meld the two euphoric events into one. I was ready to throw in the towel before we'd even left, honestly, given the round-the-clock ricocheting off walls the kids were engaged in, and that E, coincidentally, was swamped at work to the point that laundry, packing and planning - and kid wrangling - just wouldn't fit on his agenda. He thinks this is rather funny. I, however, do not.

And while I'm complaining, Universe I have a bone to pick with you. I DO NOT understand why (why, why, why?!?!) a family trip is not possible without one or more of the gang contracting a virulent and extremely unpleasant stomach flu. We will approach our next vacation with a few new tactics in our arsenal of vacation-preparation-tactics. An all-encompassing quarantine. Followed by nightly baths in Purell. Followed by a complete spray down with Lysol. And we will not visit any eating establishments with play areas. Period. And I'm seriously thinking over the possibility and practicality of hazmat suits. I've said my bit, Universe. And now, on to pleasanter things.

Rocky Mountain Park is just so dang awesome. Dang awesome. So spectacularly beautiful. And such a perfect reprieve from the Midwest's smothering humidity and heat. And when I say my kids can hike, I mean my kids can hike. (Until they are sidelined with crippling stomach cramps and fevers, that is.) Well, except for Bubby, who rides, and has a pretty sweet gig, if you ask me. It's not a very sweet gig for whichever of us adults has to schlep him up and down the mountain, but hey, that's what parenting is all about, right? Lots of schlepping. And other things. And there might not be anything funnier than your 6-year old slumping on a rock and saying with all seriousness and a few hand gestures, "I need to hydrate."

Half the reason for our Colorado trip each year is to catch the Estes Park Scandinavian Festival. Besides the good food and folksy handmade items, the highlight for me might have been observing E singing along with the Norwegian national anthem when the Scandianvian flags were paraded in. We enjoyed lefsa with butter and brown sugar while being entertained by the Norwegian dancing. And then we were dragged back to the cabin by the kids, who didn't come to hang out with silly old Scandinavians, thank you very much, but to play in the pine trees, if you don't mind.
The kids hiked with us the next day - about a 5 mile hike to three different lakes, the highest of which was at an elevation of about 10,000 ft. above sea level, folks! And not a word of complaining from my little troopers. They seem to thrive on mountain air and scrambling over rocks. And they looked so stinking cute with their backpacks.

Emerald Lake

Blogger has put it's foot down. No more photos for you, it says. So stay tuned for part deux.

1 comment:

Scullerina said...

Wow, what a nice Vacation. Sorry to hear that the flu joined the trip. Here's hoping you still had the handy ice bucket you "borrowed" from a hotel the last time the flu joined your vacay. :) Love the photos.