Thursday, February 7, 2008

Proprietary Issues

This girl has a mind completely, absolutely and firmly all her own. All our recent efforts to teach good behavior and respect for people and things have earned only cheeky retorts from this one. For example, "Stay off the furniture S", leads to "It's not YOUR furniture" or "Don't smother the cat please, S" followed by "It's not YOUR cat" and "You may not run in the the house S" naturally ends with "It's not YOUR house."

Well I'm thinking she has been lectured sternly on this unpleasantness of late, because today as we walked to school to pick up the boy, I asked her why her door was open when I went to her room to wake her from her nap. She answered like this:

"I think Chubby (nickname of cat formerly known for remarkable size, now only skin and bones, but nickname remains, and this is all neither here nor there for the purposes of this story, but I couldn't leave it alone lest anyone unfamiliar with the cat would wonder who 'Chubby' was, and why he was creaping into her bedroom) opened the door so he could sleep on my couch... uh I mean Daddy's couch... the couch he buyed with his very own money....the couch which is his and he buyed with money all on his own and it's his couch. It's Daddy's couch."

Someone has clearly attempted to set her right on ownership of everything that counts around here. And it wasn't me.

2 comments:

Scullerina said...

S is a crack up.

Interestingly, in my career I am continually reminding people who paid for the couch ---- or at least reminding consumers that using an instore credit plans means you'll be paying for that couch for a long time.

Anonymous said...

In my business you pay to lay on the couch. Some even talk to the couch- some think they are the couch.
That girls does have a great sense of self. She will go far!