Saturday, February 2, 2008

What I learned today...


One of my guilty pleasures is NPR, and this morning a piece I listened to in the car stuck with me and I've been thinking about it all day. The conductor of the Baltimore Symphony and an otolaryngologist at Johns Hopkins have teamed up to 'investigate' the genious of Ludwig von Beethoven in light of the progressive hearing loss he experienced beginning early on in his life. What struck me were various snipets of his compositions modified by a computer program to approximate what Beethoven might have heard of his own music with advancing hearing loss. By the time he completed the 9th Symphony, it is believed that he may have been profoundly deaf. Deaf? Writing the 9th Symphony?!? As a pianist of no remarkable talent (and with full use of my hearing I might add) I'm dumbstruck by this. It's almost heartwrenching to think that he wasn't able to fully appreciate his own unearthly and gorgeous work. He died at 57, having been most likely clinically depressed due to the hearing loss as well as a lifetime of chonic abdominal pain, but I would argue (vehemently!) having composed some of the most powerful and moving music. Kind of inspiring, no?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely inspiring! Miss M and I enjoyed the music while we read books before bedtime last night.

And one of her new-found big words (she loves to repeat) is 'inspiring.' Of course, it sounds nothing like it should, but I am proud she is expanding her language skills.

A :D

Brittany said...

I would agree with you-genius! I am partial to his piano concertos and sonatas. Would love to talk with him someday.

Scullerina said...

Definitely inspiring!

Anonymous said...

God works in mysterious ways-his wonders to perform. We are all only his instruments.