Sunday, August 5, 2007

The magic of irrigation:



Say whaaa? Yes, irrigation. Grandma and Grandpa have used a canal to irrigate their lawns as long as I can remember, and I would guess much longer than that really. Grandpa opens up the lines from the canal located behind their home and the water begins to flow through large pipes onto the lawn and over the whole property until the grass lies beneath a couple inches of water. If you're completely heebie-jeebied out by the occasional worm floating past your bare piggies (which I often was as a kid) you might not like irrigation day. However, I have realized how extremely cool irrigation day really is since I was able to take the children there to experience for themselves while we were in UT. The kids loved it. The dogs loved it. I loved it. Grandpa exercised tremendous restraint and did not start a water fight. Bummer. It was practically the next best thing to a trip to the beach, really. And you get the added perk of a shared ice cream cone with Great-Grandpa!







I have great memories of my grandparents and their home. It always seemed magical to me in countless ways. I hope my children will have a few wonderful memories of their own of the fun we've had with their Great-Grandparents.

1 comment:

Scullerina said...

My grandpa also uses irrigation water but I had no idea it was more of a "flooding" drench the ground process. I learned something today.