Thursday, August 16, 2007

School is in session!



This is surely a monumentous occasion. Particularly so considering the hour and a half war-to-end-all-wars we engaged in this morning over whether or not his new teacher would like him to wear a shirt with buttons or not. He was quite convinced that since HE did not want to wear a shirt with buttons (a super handsome shirt with a cowboy on the back that I picked out especially at Gymboree, thank you very much), surely SHE would be opposed to buttons as well. There was screaming. There was wailing. And there may have been gnashing of teeth, although by that point I had employed my supermom-ignore-abilities, so I can't say for certain. In the end we compromised on a shirt without a full set of buttons and "his favorite and his best" camo pants. Not the picture-perfect outfit I had in mind for his first day of REAL school, but whatever. If there is anything I've learned through motherhood, it's that sometimes you just have to let the little things go...


So here he is, settling in, without even a glance back over his shoulder at ol' mom and dad. So, so ready for school to start. His friend Blake is in his class which is very cool and exciting since he and Blake go way back. Way back to preschool, that is. And check out that ubercool backpack. My dad calls me Queen-o-the-internet and Queen-o-the-internet I may be. How else would I have found such an adorable (and personalized) backpack just PERFECT for kindergarten. I'm sure by next year he'll think that it was the dorkiest thing ever and no self-respecting kid would be caught dead carrying such a bag, but for now he adores it.

1 comment:

Scullerina said...

Reading of your experience with Wonderboy's wardrobe for the first day of school cracked me up. I totally dig the personalized backpack too. You are an uber mom! As for Bubby's first word, I think it's endearing. It could be worse, for example My grumpy uncle Bob's neighbor's kids' first word was "BOB" -- not mom or dad.